Residents can apply for rebates on items that can significantly reduce your home's indoor and outdoor water use and consequently, your utility bills.
City of Northglenn
Attn: John Crawford
12301 Claude Court
Northglenn, CO 80241
– Or –
Email to email@example.com
Water Rebates Available
The city has rebates for the following items:
- Water-efficient toilet
- Water-efficient washing machine
- Rotary sprinkler head
- Irrigation timer
- Rain barrel
- Turf replacement***
The city also partners with Resource Central for the Slow the Flow and Garden in a box programs.
Eligibility and Funding
Rebates are available to Northglenn residents who are city water customers. Applications are processed in the order in which they are received, and are available while there is sufficient funding. Rebates will be applied to your water bill as a credit within two months of approval.
How to Apply
Compile and fill out the following documents for all the rebates EXCEPT for turf replacement:
- Make sure your purchase complies with the rebate policy.
- Water Conservation Rebate Application (indicate rebates you are applying for)
- Affidavit of legal residency (included in application)
- Copy of Legal ID
- Copy of receipt with the item eligible for rebate highlighted or circled
- Submit all documents to City Hall, 11701 Community Center Drive
Rebate Amounts and Qualifications
Water-Efficient Toilet Rebate
- Up to $75, limit two per address
- Residential customers must own the residence where the toilet is being replaced
- To qualify, toilets must use 1.28 gallons of water per flush or less
- Dual-flush toilets with flush functions that use more than 1.28 gallons per flush are not eligible for this rebate
Water-Efficient Washing Machine Rebate
- Up to $100 for a new, high-efficiency washing machine
- Limited to one per address every 10 years
- Residential customers must own the residence where the washer is being installed
- The washing machine must be an EPA-certified Energy Star product. Check this website before purchasing your machine to ensure you will qualify.
- $3 per sprinkler head, limit 25 per address
- Up to $100 per timer, limit one per address every 10 years
- The timer must be WaterSense labeled
- Up to $50, limit one per address every five years
- Note: per state law residents can store up to 110 gallons of rainwater for use in their yards in one or two rain barrels
Northglenn provides turf replacement rebates to help reduce your outdoor water use, beautify your outdoor space, and save money on your water bill!
Project applications must be submitted between April 1 and August 15 of the year they will be completed to be considered eligible to receive a rebate. Final project site inspections must be requested by October 1 of the rebate application year.
Complete Turf Replacement Packet
Follow these steps to plan for a new and improved water-wise yard by replacing turf grass and apply for a rebate to use as credit towards your water bill:
- Review Northglenn’s turf replacement rebate requirements to be sure that your planned project(s) will be eligible for a rebate.
- Take ‘before’ photos of the area where you plan to replace turf grass and update with water-wise landscaping.
- Develop a water-wise landscape design. Work with a landscape designer or design your own landscape plan that consists of low- or no-water use plans and permeable hardscape. See the turf replacement program requirements and Design Submission Template for instructions.
- Submit your new landscape design for HOA approval (if applicable).
- Submit your landscape plan and apply for your rebate. Download and complete your rebate application, and submit it with all necessary documents to City Hall at 11701 Community Center Drive, Northglenn, CO 80233.
- Receive project approval and begin implementing your water-wise plan. Once you receive approval from Northglenn’s water conservation staff, you may begin transforming your yard into a beautiful, water-wise landscape.
- Send photos of your installed garden before adding mulch to plant beds. Email photos of your newly installed landscape to conserveH20@northglenn.org BEFORE mulch is added to any garden beds. You can add mulch once Northglenn staff give you approval.
- Schedule a site visit to receive plan approval. Once your project is complete, email conserveH2O@northglenn.org or call 303.450.4045 to schedule a site visit.
- Receive final approval and your rebate. Once you receive final approval, $1 per square foot of approved project area will be applied as a credit to your water bill account within two months.
Retroactive rebates are not allowed for turf replacement.
Qualifying Turf Replacement Rebate Projects
Before your shovel hits the turf, review these rules to make sure your landscape vision will qualify for Northglenn’s water-wise landscape rebates.
Qualifying landscape projects must replace between 200 and 1000 square feet of existing and maintained irrigated turf grass with low-, or no-water use plant beds. A limited portion of permeable hardscape or deck is also allowed. Only residential properties within the city are eligible for turf replacement rebates.
Permeable (adjective): Allowing liquids or gases to pass through it.
Mulched Plant Beds
- Mulched plant beds cannot have more than 30 percent bare mulch when plants mature.
- Mulch can include shredded bark, bark chips or rock.
- The majority of plans must be ultra-low to low-water perennials, shrubs or trees.
- A maximum of 30 percent of moderate water demand plants will be accepted.
- No high-water demand plants can be included in the rebate-eligible area.
- Visit www.PlantSelect.org for information about approved water-efficient plants.
- Utilize the Garden in a Box Program through Resource Central.
Low-water use turf can replace existing high-water use turf. Artificial turf is not eligible for a rebate. Approved low-water turf types include:
- Turf Type Tall Fescue
- Sheep, Blue and Hard Fine Fescues (only Sheep, Blue, and Hard fine fescues)
- Texas Hybrid Bluegrass
- Mix of Buffalograss and Blue Grama
- Dog Tuff™ Grass from PlantSelect.org
Installation of hardscapes such as paver paths or flagstone permeable patios is allowed. However, concrete patios and rock mulches in areas without plants are not considered permeable hardscapes and are not rebate eligible. Permeable hardscapes including pavers, patios and decks cannot account for more than 50% of the area eligible for a turf removal rebate. Pavers cannot be cement grouted.
Decks and other outdoor entertainment areas must be constructed in a way that remains permeable and replaces an area of the irrigated turf.
All hardscape requirements of this program are in compliance with Northglenn’s Urban Development Ordinance Section 11-7-7.Turf Replacement Irrigation Upgrades
To fully reduce your long-term water consumption, your existing irrigation system will need to be adjusted or updated to provide the appropriate amount of water to your newly-installed features.
Receiving Your Turf Replacement Rebate
Rebate applications will be processed in the order they are received and funds will be awarded to rebate applicants while they are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Once your project is complete and you have received final rebate approval, $1 per square foot of approved project will be credited towards your water account.
Slow the Flow
Have your outdoor irrigation system checked out for free. This program through the ReSource Central helps residents improve the efficiency of their watering systems. Contact the Center for ReSource Conservation to schedule your 1.5-hour appointment.
Garden in a Box
Northglenn residents can receive a $25 discount on a complete xeriscape garden in a box from Resource Central. Gardens go on sale in March and again in the fall. Quantities are limited, so reserve your garden early. For more information or to order, visit www.conservationcenter.org/gardens.