nextdoor instagram twitter facebook youtube

Code FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions

What Do Neighborhood Service (code enforcement) Officers Do?

Neighborhood Service Officers patrol neighborhoods and commercial properties looking for code violations. They also respond to reports of code violations made by residents. Neighborhood Services tracks each violation to its completion.

What is a Notice of Violation Warning?

A Notice of Violation Warning informs residents and property owners of a code violation and the time allotted to correct the violation. If the violation is not corrected, the officer can issue a summons or citation or schedule an abatement.

What if I Can't Finish All the Work By the Due Date?

Contact the Neighborhood Service Officer immediately. Do not wait until the due date. Neighborhood Service Officers are willing to grant reasonable extensions depending on the situation.

What Do I Do If I Disagree With the Notice?

Please contact the Neighborhood Service Officer immediately. The officer will be glad to meet with you and to explain why the notice was issued. You also may file a Notice of Protest with the City Clerk. The Notice of Protest must be filled within the timeframe of the notice and can only be used for the abatement process. A summons can still be issued.

I Can't Get in Touch With the Neighborhood Service Officer. What Do I Do?

The best time to reach officers is Monday through Friday between 7 and 8 a.m. and then again from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Officers check voice messages daily and will attempt to return calls the day they are received.

What is an Abatement?

An abatement is when the city hires someone to fix the code violation for you. This usually occurs after a Notice of Violation Warning has been issued and the violation was not corrected. Then a lien is filed on the property for the cost of the correction.

When Will You Abate My Property?

It is extremely important to have direct communication with the Neighborhood Service Officer to work together in order to prevent an abatement.

Why Do We Have Code Enforcement?

Having well-maintained neighborhoods helps provide a healthy and safe environment for families to grow and businesses to succeed.

What is an Abandoned Vehicle?

A vehicle that has expired or no license plates, is wrecked, dismantled or inoperable, is deemed an abandoned vehicle. Abandoned vehicles cannot be parked on city streets or parked on your property within the public’s view.

How Does My Yard Need to Be Maintained?

Front and side yards must be landscaped and maintained substantially weed free. Landscaping can include living and non-living ground cover such as grass, rock, mulch, bushes, trees, flowers, cement areas, gazebos, etc. Grass should be maintained less than 8 inches high.

What is Considered Litter?

Items that are not designed or intended for outside use cannot be stored outside a home or building. Storing items such as car parts, unused construction material, boxes, newspapers, household trash, appliances, indoor furniture, wood, tree cuttings, tires, chemicals, carpet, mattresses, etc. outside at a property is not allowed.

What is Minimum Housing Maintenance?

Homes must be maintained to be water, rodent and weather proof. This includes paint that is chipping and peeling, as well as screens on all opening windows and exterior doors. Glass must also be in good repair with no cracks. Wood surfaces need to be maintained to prevent rotting or replaced when rotting occurs.

How Soon Do I Need to Clear Off My Sidewalk When It Snows?

Sidewalks must be cleared of snow within 48 hours after the weather has cleared. Violations will result in an abatement of the property and a lien filed for all costs incurred. This law applies for residential and commercial properties.

What are the Rules for Garage Sale Signs?
  • No more than two garage sales in any calendar year.
  • No sale shall last more than three consecutive days.
  • Garage sale signs may be placed in the public right of ways, but are limited to the following restrictions:
    • No garage sale sign shall be larger than 24 inches by 24 inches;
    • No garage sale sign shall be staked higher than 12 inches from the ground
    • Garage sale signs may only be placed in the public right of way on sale days and should be removed by 7 p.m. on the last day of the garage sale.
Why Do I Have to Go on Record to File a Complaint?

Most complaints can be made anonymously. However, because of the Fourth Amendment, when the violation cannot be seen from the public view of the officer, we will need your permission to gain access into your property to view the violation. If an officer serves a summons they will be asked to testify to how they viewed the violation and who gave them permission to enter your property.

If I Go on Record, Will the Officer Tell My Neighbor Who Reported Them?

Officers will never tell a party who called in a complaint. However, the Colorado Open Records Act requires that your information be released if any party fills out a request with the City Clerk. If an officer serves a summons, they will be asked to testify to how they viewed the violation and who gave them permission to enter your property. Additionally, you could be required to testify and your information be released in disclosure if the case is brought to trial.