Public Works Department
Open 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. weekdays
Resident trash service in the city is conducted by the Sanitation Division of the Public Works and Utilities Department.
Residents are charged $12.25 per month for trash removal service and this cost is included on your monthly utility billing statement.
Trash is collected Monday through Friday.
• Monday: Northeast section of city, south part of Fox Run
• Tuesday: Southeast section of city, west part of Fox Run
• Wednesday: Central section of city (between I-25 and Washington Street, east part of Fox Run)
• Thursday: West section of city (west of I-25, north of 104th Avenue)
• Friday: Southwest section of city (south of 104th Avenue)
The map to the right contains the current trash day routes. Call 303-450-4004 if you have any questions.
On your normal trash collection day, trash containers can be placed out at 5 p.m. the day before collection and no later than 7 a.m. on your scheduled collection day.
Trash will NOT be picked up on the following holidays:
• Thanksgiving Day
• Christmas Day
• New Year's Day
If your trash day falls on one of these holidays, your trash will be picked up on the next business day.
Trash will be picked up as normal on all other holidays that are not listed above.
Polycarts must be placed with the rear wheels in the gutter adjacent to the street or with the handle of the polycart nearest your home. Polycarts should be 6 feet away from parked cars and other obstacles.
If you have more than one polycart, please place the carts at least 2 feet apart to allow the mechanical arm to properly lift the cart.
Please Keep a Safe Distance From Automated Trucks
The city would like to advise residents to please stay at least 10 feet back from the right side of automated trash trucks as garbage is collected. The arms on the trucks are extremely strong, and are capable of lifting hundreds of pounds at one time over and over again. The arms can cause serious injuries as it automatically extends, lifts and then releases the polycart.
The city converted from manual to automated trash collection service in 2009. This allows for increased productivity and curbside recycling service.
All residential households are required to use a polycart from the city for all trash collection.
A city-issued polycart is necessary because of equipment compatibility, cart damage and warranties. The polycarts purchased from the city are guaranteed to work with the city's trucks and have a 10-year warranty.
Polycarts have hinged lids, large wheels for ease of maneuverability and come with a 10-year warranty against manufacturer’s defects.
Polycarts are available in the following sizes, pricing, and weight capacity:
• 96-gallon at $60 and will hold up to 335 pounds
• 64-gallon at $58 and will hold up to 224 pounds
• 48-gallon at $45 and will hold up to 168 pounds
Trash Containment and Items
All regular trash and trash bags must be placed in a polycart to be picked up.
The only exceptions are special pick ups and curbside recycling of batteries, antifreeze and/or motor oil.
Within the polycarts themselves:
• Cold ashes or pet feces should be placed in a sealed double bag when placed in the polycart.
• Sod and soil will be collected as long as the polycart does not exceed its maximum weight capacity.
Materials not collected:
• Normal trash not placed in the polycart
• Paint in liquid form, chemicals, household cleaning products, biological or medical waste or medicines
• Dead animals or parts of animals
• Hot ashes or coals
• Trash in any polycart not purchased from the city
When not out in the gutter waiting to be picked up, store polycarts in the yard behind your home, in your carport or garage or in the side yard, next to an exterior wall of your home. Please do not leave them directly in front of your home facing a street or in your front yard, unless your housing type prohibits your ability to comply with the storage requirements. Ordinances relating to this matter for typical residential homes are located in Chapter 11, Article 7, Section 2 (11-7-2) of the city’s Municipal Code.
Notice of Violation
Trash that is in violation of these regulations will not be collected and a courtesy notice will be left stating the reason.
Your cooperation with these rules and regulations allows the city to continue to provide efficient and cost-effective collection and disposal services to our residents.