Are you ready to build an exciting career with the Northglenn Police Department?
Have more questions or want to talk to a recruiter?
Hiring Process for New Recruits, Post Certified, and Lateral Officers
- 21 years of age at time of appointment
- U.S. Citizen or proper I-9 documentation
- Minimum education is high school diploma
- Must possess a valid driver's license
- No commission of a felony offense over the age of 18
- Failure to meet the above minimum requirements are examples of automatic disqualification and are not all inclusive. Additional statues that affect Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certification can be found on the Colorado Official Web Portal.
- After application is accepted, applicants will be invited to a physical assessment in which they will complete an obstacle course. The obstacle course must be completed within a passing time.
- Writing sample.
- Oral panel interview - applicants must receive a passing score to advance in the hiring process.
- Integrity interview - applicants must receive a passing score to advance in the hiring process.
- Applicants will be instructed to schedule a psychological evaluation, a polygraph exam, and complete a background packet. After a review of this information the applicant will be notified if they are selected to continue to the next phase of the process.
- Interview with the Chief of Police. If selected to continue, a conditional job offer may be made. Applicants will complete post conditional offer testing to include second phase of psychological testing, post offer background and a medical exam..
- Upon successful outcome of all phases, a final job offer may be made.
The Northglenn Police Department has built a strong workforce due, in part, to our excellent training program which exceeds POST requirements.
- New hires must attend a 22 week Academy to become POST certified, which translates into approximately 550 hours.
- Academy graduates and lateral officers must complete in-house training which is approximately 6 weeks or 240 hours.
- Out-of-state lateral officers must attend a Colorado POST refresher course that is approximately 2 weeks.
- All officers must complete the Field Training Program (FTO), which is approximately 14 weeks or 560 hours.
- All officers must complete in-service training mandated by state statute.