With the coming of fall and cooler temperatures, pests are trying to work their way into homes and structures. Sitings of rodents – especially rats – are on the rise in Northglenn.
Here are some tips and resources to avoid a rodent infestation on your property:
- Place bird feeders where they are not accessible to rodents.
- Keep pet food inside.
- Store trash in metal or plastic containers with tight-fitting lids. Keep the cans in a garage or shed, and put trash out only on pick-up day.
- Fence gardens/harvest vegetables
- Cover fruit trees with commercially available netting; pick up fruit that has fallen from trees.
- In the kitchen or pantry, seal food in airtight containers; clean up crumbs and food spills immediately; remove garbage regularly
- Clear out empty boxes and clutter in dark areas such as basements, attics, closets, and storage spaces.
- Loose papers and fabric make good nesting material for rodents; keep materials and belongings off floors.
- Seal and block all cracks and holes larger than a quarter inch in diameter using caulk or steel wool, especially where utilities and pipes meet the home. Replace mortar and weather stripping around foundation. Check for holes/openings around insulation in crawl spaces and attics. Screen furnace, attic and dryer vents.
- Cover window wells with commercially available grates or bubbles, or make a cover using quarter-inch hardware cloth or chicken wire.
- Close holes around and under the foundation of your home so that rodents will not be tempted to homestead. Bury wire mesh one to two feet deep in places where animals might gain access.
- Moisture is ideal for rodent breeding. Repair leaking pipes and clogged drains.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet from the house.
- Keep shrubs and bushes near house low during the fall.
If you are concerned about an infestation on your property, a pest control company can provide options.Related Information
- Tips for chicken coop owners
- City of Northglenn Animal Control
- Centers for Disease Control information on rodents