Gun Safe Rebate Program
General Inquiries: 303-450-8892
Northglenn Police Department
11701 Community Center Drive
Northglenn, CO 80233
Gun Safe Rebate Program
This program will reimburse a Northglenn resident, over the age of 21, up to 25 percent or a maximum of $500 on the purchase of an eligible gun safe. If the gun safe is purchased from a Northglenn business, the city will reimburse up to 30 percent of the cost or a maximum $525. This program is a one-time reimbursement and is limited to one per residence.
The following requirements must be met for the gun safe to be eligible for the reimbursement program:
• The safe must fully contain firearms and provide for their secure storage;
• The safe must have a locking system consisting of at minimum a mechanical or electronic combination lock. The mechanical or electronic combination lock utilized by the safe shall have at least 10,000 possible combinations consisting of a minimum three numbers, letters or symbols. The lock needs to be protected by a case-hardened (Rc 60+) drill resistant steel plate, or drill-resistant material of equivalent strength;
• Bolt work must consist of a minimum of three steel locking bolts of at least 1/2 inch thickness that intrude from the door of the safe into the body of the safe or from the body of the safe into the door of the safe. They must be operated by a separate handle and secured by the lock;
• The safe must be capable of repeated use. The exterior walls shall be constructed of at minimum 12-gauge thick steel for a single-walled safe, or the sum of the steel walls shall add up to at least .1 inches for safes with two walls. Doors shall be constructed of a minimum of two layers of 12-gauge steel, or one layer of 7-gauge steel compound construction;
• Door hinges must be protected to prevent the removal of the door. Protective features include, but are not limited to: hinges not exposed to the outside, interlocking door designs, dead bars, jeweler’s lugs and active or inactive locking bolts.
– Or –
All of the following requirements must be met:
• The safe is listed as an Underwriters Laboratories Residential Security Container;
• The safe is able to fully contain firearms;
• The safe provides for the secure storage of firearms.
Residents wishing to participate in the gun safe reimbursement program must also complete a notarized affidavit, provide a receipt for the safe and submit their application to the Police Department for approval. A notary can be provided Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Once all the requirements are met the city will issue a check for the amount reimbursed under this program.
Residents of the City of Northglenn wishing to participate in this program may email the make and model number of the safe they wish to purchase to email@example.com prior to their purchase to make sure it meets the requirements of this program.