Let's make Northglenn more livable, vibrant and environmentally sustainable.
This program addresses social, economic and environmental issues by setting goals and tracking citywide initiatives.
The Sustainability Plan's vision statement outlines future aspiration's for the City:
Northglenn is a vibrant community that thrives on civic engagement and collaboration to use the power of our citizens to increase sustainability and enhance our resources and economic sustainability. We creatively and thoughtfully utilize our resources— showing pride in our community—to meet our present and future generation’s needs without compromising the ecosystems on which we depend, in order to create an exceptional quality of life for every generation.
The City selected nine goal areas which best align with the Sustainability Vision.
- Arts, Culture and Events
- Community Education and Civic Engagement
- Sustainable Economy
- Environment and Public Health
- Human Dignity
- Open Space and Land Use
- Resource Conservation
This project is currently in the implementation phase. Read more about current initiatives below.
- Sept. 24, 2018 - City Council approved Sustainability Plan
- August 2018 - Advisory group began meeting
- November 2017 - Project initiation; audit of existing programs
The Sustainability Advisory Committee directed staff to focus on one to two topic areas per year. The focus for 2019 has been on improving recycling diversion rates via two methods:
- Introducing recycling at City events starting with the Food Truck Carnival in May
- Improving residential participation/reducing contamination through outreach and education
Community members are being sought to participate in an advisory group that meets on a quarterly basis. If you are interested, please contact Becky Smith at the information in the contact box.
Energy Action Plan
The Energy Action Plan identifies energy savings across the residential, commercial and small business, city facilities, and renewable energy focus areas with goals and strategies determined for eachResidential
- Connect with 7,000 residents to double participation in Xcel Energy programs over 2017 in the next year.
- Achieve community-wide residential energy savings of 1% annually over 2017 for the next three years.
- Launch a communications campaign.
- Connect with 400 businesses and engage 115 in Xcel Energy programs over 2017 baseline in the next year.
- Achieve community-wide commercial energy savings of 2% annually over 2017 baseline for the next 3 years.
- Promote business energy literacy and share resources.
- Explore options for additional energy project incentives.
- Reduce average municipal facility energy use intensity (EUI)* by 5% in the next 3 years.
(*EUI is an energy measure based on the energy per square foot of a building)
- Increase employee education and awareness of facility energy projects.
- Create energy teams in City departments to champion energy efforts at work and at home.
- Update facilities with high-efficiency equipment.
- Benchmark key facilities to monitor and track energy performance.
- Add 250 kW of renewable energy by 2025.
- Raise awareness about renewable energy options across all sectors.
- Explore partnerships with other North Metro area cities.
Documents Related Information