Vision, Mission, and Purpose
The vision of the Northglenn Sustainability Committee is to creatively and thoughtfully utilize our resources, show pride in our community, and meet our present and future generation’s needs without compromising the ecosystems on which we depend, in order to create an exceptional quality of life for every generation.
The Sustainability Committees' mission is to coordinate, initiate, and promote sustainability within the City. The Committee’s purpose is to:
- Advance and encourage environmentally sustainable practices and ideas within the City, including, but not limited to City operations and facilities, new development, City ordinances, governing construction and development, local businesses, neighborhoods, homeowners, and residents.
- Collaborate with City staff to continue to implement and update the strategies and goals in the Sustainability Plan.
- Provide recommendations and suggestions to the City Council regarding laws, ordinances, rules, programs, and funding that promote sustainability.
- Work in cooperation with other City boards, commissions, and committees to promote sustainability policies and programs.
- To promote sustainability awareness at town events or at the request of interested individuals or groups.
- Conduct occasional community surveys to understand the local perspective on the Sustainability Plan and progress the community feels is necessary.
Click here (link pdf) if you are interested in learning more about the Committee to read the City of Northglenn Sustainability Committee Directives.
City Sustainability Efforts
In a partnership with Xcel Energy, the City is offering to cover the $50 fee for a Home Energy Squad (HES) visit. HES visits may swap out traditional lightbulbs for LEDs, install a programmable thermostat, weather-strip a drafty door, and install energy-efficient showerheads and faucet aerators.
Make sure to sign up soon as there are a limited number of HES visits covered by the City! Visit HERE to schedule your visit!
Learn more about the City's sustainability efforts and plan implementation.
City Sustainability Page
Sustainability Resources and Information
Check air quality with city sensors and the Love My Air Program!
Through the Love My Air program, the city was able to install two air quality sensors to help residents understand the amount of particulate matter in the air. Particulate matter is a pollutant most commonly caused by vehicle emissions, construction, industries, forest fires, and residential and agricultural burning. Particulate matter in the air can cause irritation to the lungs, nose, eyes, and throat, as well as cause or exacerbate other serious conditions like asthma and heart disease.
Visit HERE to check the day's air quality with Northglenn's monitors and others in the area!
Visit HERE to learn more about the Love My Air program and how particulate matter affects!
Tips for at-home sustainability efforts
Meetings are on the fourth Tuesday of the month at 5:30 p.m. in City Council Chambers.
Please contact Becky Smith, Planning Manager, at email@example.com or 303.450.8741 to inquire about joining the Sustainability Committee.
The Sustainability Committee is headed by Co-Chairs and Northglenn residents Renata Trisiliwati and Jenn Parke. The Committee membership is comprised of Northglenn residents, City Council Members, and organizations affecting sustainability in the City.