This means the city’s residents elect a governing body (known as City Council) that conducts the legislative functions of the city. In turn, the City Manager executes the laws and administers the city’s government.
Powers and Responsibilities
- Enact local legislation
- Adopt the city’s budget
- Determine policies for the city
- Appoint the City Manager
- Appoint the City Clerk
- Appoint the city attorney
- Appoint the municipal judge
- Appoint members of various Boards and Commissions
- Represent the city on various area, regional and state boards and organizations
- Council meetings are on the second and fourth Monday of the month at 7 p.m.
- Study sessions are held as needed on the first and third Monday of each month at 6 p.m.
Review City Council Documents
From left: Meredith Leighty, Jordan Sauers, Becky Brown, Joyce Downing, Antonio B. Esquibel, Carol Dodge, Marci Whitman, Julie Duran Mullica and Jenny Willford
Council consists of nine members, including the mayor. Two council members are elected from each of the City’s four wards, while the mayor is elected at-large, by the general public.
Council members are elected for four-year terms. Per Colorado state law, the mayor and council members are limited to two consecutive terms in office, but may serve more than two terms if they are not continuous.
Council assumes office at the first meeting following certification of results. At this meeting, a Mayor Pro Tem is selected and council appointments are made to various Boards and Commissions.
The City is divided into four contiguous wards. These wards have approximately the same amount of voters to assure equal representation.
- Mayor Pro Tem: Antonio B. Esquibel
- Adams 12 Five Star Board Liaison: Antonio B. Esquibel
- Business Relations Coordinator: Marci Whitman
- Colorado Municipal League Executive Board: Carol Dodge (elected position through CML)
- Colorado Municipal League Policy Committee: Jenny Willford
- Colorado Municipal League Policy Committee Alternate: Carol Dodge
- Denver Regional Council of Governments Representative: Jordan Sauers
- Denver Regional Council of Governments Alternate Representative: Julie Duran Mullica, Joyce Downing
- Finance Committee: Carol Dodge, Becky Brown, Joyce Downing
- Historic Preservation Commission Ex-Officio: Jenny Willford
- Legislative Policy Committee: Jordan Sauers, Julie Duran Mullica, Jenny Willford
- Metro North Chamber of Commerce Business & Government Affairs Committee Representative: Julie Duran Mullica
- North Area Transportation Alliance Representative: Julie Duran Mullica
- North Metro Fire Rescue District Board Liaison: Jordan Sauers
- Northglenn Arts & Humanities Foundation Liaison: Carol Dodge
- Northglenn Senior Organization Liaison: Carol Dodge
- Northglenn Urban Renewal Authority Representative: Becky Brown
- Outside Agency Funding Committee: Becky Brown, Meredith Leighty, Joyce Downing
- Parks and Recreation Advisory Board Ex-Officio Member: Jenny Willford
- Parliamentarian: Becky Brown
- Performance Appraisal Committee Members: Carol Dodge, Marci Whitman, Joyce Downing, Julie Duran Mullica, Jenny Willford
- Police Pension Board: Carol Dodge
- Planning Commission Ex-Officio Member: Joyce Downing
- Committee Library District Board Liaison: Marci Whitman
- Rocky Flats Stewardship Council Representative: Joyce Downing
- Youth Commission Ex-Officio Member: Meredith Leighty
- VALE Board Member: Joyce Downing
- VALE Board Alternate Member: Jordan Sauers