Code Enforcement FAQ

Contact Information: 

Call 303-280-7876 for questions, concerns or to report a code violation.

Call 303-252-2849 to report graffiti.

Code Enforcement FAQ

What do Neighborhood Service (code enforcement) Officers do?

Neighborhood Service Officers patrol neighborhoods and commercial properties looking for code violations. They also respond to reports of code violations made by residents. Neighborhood Services tracks each violation to its completion.

What is a Notice of Violation Warning?

A Notice of Violation Warning informs residents and property owners of a code violation and the time allotted to correct the violation. If the violation is not corrected, the officer can issue a summons or citation or schedule an abatement.

Why did I get a Notice of Violation Warning when my yard looks great and I see other homes that do not?

Please remember that a notice does not mean your home looks bad. Homes can receive notices for violations such as overhanging trees, trash cans not stored properly, etc. These situations can pose safety hazards and therefore are enforceable, regardless of the condition of the home and yard.

What if I can't finish all the work by the due date?

Contact the Neighborhood Service Officer immediately. Do not wait until the due date. Neighborhood Service Officers are willing to grant reasonable extensions depending on the situation.

What do I do if I disagree with the notice?

Please contact the Neighborhood Service Officer immediately. The officer will be glad to meet with you and to explain why the notice was issued. You also may file a Notice of Protest with the City Clerk. The Notice of Protest must be filled within the timeframe of the notice and can only be used for the abatement process. A summons can still be issued.

I can't get in touch with the Neighborhood Service Officer. What do I do?

The best time to reach Officers is Monday through Friday between 7 and 8 a.m. and then again from 2:30 to 3:30 p.m. Officers check voice messages daily and will attempt to return calls the day they are received.

What is an abatement?

Abatement is when the city hires someone to fix the code violation for you. This usually occurs after a Notice of Violation Warning has been issued and the violation was not corrected. Then a lien is filed on the property for the cost of the correction.

When will you abate my property?

Abatements are only if the violation is not corrected and the Neighborhood Service Officer has not been contacted by the due date written on the Notice of Violation Warning. Most abatements are done as soon as the first day after the due date.

What happens if I get a citation?

If you receive a citation, you will need to pay the $150 fine within 10 days and correct the violation within 30 days of the date on the citation. If the violation is not corrected, a second citation will be issued with a $500 fine, allowing 15 more days to comply. Third and subsequent citations automatically include a $999 fine.

Why is Northglenn enforcing codes now when I've been living here for years and no one ever said anything?

Having well-maintained neighborhoods is one of the stated goals of City Council. The nicer neighborhoods are maintained, the greater the value of the homes. Additionally, statistics prove that when code is enforced, crime rates are lower.

What is an illegal vehicle?

A vehicle that has expired or no license plates, is wrecked, dismantled or inoperable, is an illegal vehicle. Illegal vehicles cannot be parked on city streets or parked on your property within the public’s view. Illegal vehicles must be stored in an enclosed building or must be screened off by a six-foot opaque fence and parked on an approved surface. No more than three illegal vehicles can be stored behind a fence.

How does my yard need to be maintained?

Front and side yards must be landscaped and maintained substantially weed free. Landscaping can include living and non-living ground cover such as grass, rock, mulch, bushes, trees, flowers, cement areas, gazebos, etc. Grass should be maintained less than 8 inches high.

What is considered litter?

Items that are not designed or intended for outside use cannot be stored outside a home or building. Storing items such as car parts, unused construction material, boxes, newspapers, household trash, appliances, indoor furniture, wood, tree cuttings, tires, chemicals, carpet, mattresses, etc. outside at a property is not allowed.

What is minimum housing maintenance?

Homes must be maintained to be water, rodent and weather proof. This includes paint that is chipping and peeling, as well as screens on all opening windows and exterior doors. Glass must also be in good repair with no cracks. Wood surfaces need to be maintained to prevent rotting or replaced when rotting occurs.

How soon do I need to clear off my sidewalk when it snows?

According to Section 16-1 of the Municipal Code, sidewalks must be cleared of snow within 48 hours after the weather has cleared. Violations will result in an abatement of the property and a lien filed for all costs incurred. This law applies for residential and commercial properties.

What are the rules for garage sale signs?

Garage sales are a great way to earn a little cash and get rid of items that seem to clutter our homes. However, the sale of used personal property in a residential zone is subject to certain restrictions and limitations: • No more than two garage sales in any calendar year. • No sale shall last more than three consecutive days. • Garage sale signs may be placed in the public right of ways, but are limited to the following restrictions:    - No garage sale sign shall be larger than 24 inches by 24 inches;    - No garage sale sign shall be staked higher than 12 inches from the ground, so that the total height of the sign shall not exceed 36 inches from the ground to the top of the sign face;    - Garage sale signs may only be placed in the public right of way on sale days and should be removed by 7 p.m. on the last day of the garage sale.

Why do I have to go on record to file a complaint?

Most complaints can be made anonymously. However, because of the Fourth Amendment, when the violation cannot be viewed from public view of the officer, we will need you permission to gain access into your property to view the violation. If an officer serves a summons they will be asked to testify to how they viewed the violation and who gave them permission to enter your property.

If I go on record will the officer tell my neighbor who reported them?

Officers will never tell a party who called in a complaint. However, the Colorado Open Records Act requires that you information be released if any party fills out a request with the City Clerk. If an officer serves a summons they will be asked to testify to how they viewed the violation and who gave them permission to enter your property. Additionally, you could be required to testify and your information be released in disclosure if the case is brought to trial.

City of Northglenn
11701 Community Center Drive
Northglenn, CO 80233