Call 303-450-4001 for questions, concerns or more information.
The city uses the following snowstorm classifications to help determine what kind response will make to the impending weather, as well as to anticipate the effect it will have on transportation in the city. The predicted snow totals are determined by the National Weather Service.
Type I: Up to 4 Inches Accumulation
• Action: Snow removal is handled by city crews. Work is generally completed within a normal shift, however, some overtime may be required to complete operations.
• Impact: Minimal. Almost all of the roadway network should be accessible with little travel delays.
Type II: 4 inches to 8 Inches Accumulation
• Action: Snow removal is handled by city crews and may require extended work hours or the addition of a second shift.
• Impact: Moderate. Some travel delays should be anticipated. Low volume streets may temporarily experience difficulty accessing collector or arterial networks.
Type III: 8 inches to 12 Inches Accumulation
• Action: Snow removal is handled by city crews supplemented by qualified Colorado CDL (Commercial Drivers License) operators from other departments. Rotating shifts will be established for 24/7 operation. Continuous operations will occur until all city streets have been plowed.
• Impact: Significant. Travel delays will occur throughout the city. Minor arterials and collectors may experience limited travel, capacity reduction and major delays. Local streets may be impassable or accessible only by 4-wheel-drive vehicles.
Type IV: 12 Inches or More Accumulation
• Action: Plow shifts are established for continuous operation. All qualified Colorado CDL (Commercial Drivers License) operators will work rotating shifts. City crews may need to be supplemented by contracted services.
• Impact: Severe. Major delays may occur throughout the roadway network. Many roads may be impassable. Traffic capacity may be severely reduced. Snow removal efforts will be focused on arterial networks and on providing access for emergency vehicles. Local streets may be impassable for extended periods of time.